Thursday, September 09, 2004

FARK.com: (1116157) IBM began selling proportional width typewriters in 1941 -- plenty of time for Bush's 1972 guard unit: "I have been a professional typist for 33 years - I still am and I make very big bucks. I spent several years typing on an IBM Executive Proportional Spacing typewriter (the hardest to learn typewriter ever invented). It worked like this - each character had a number of 'spaces' assigned to it - an m had 5, and i had one. If you made an error on an m, you had to backspace 5 times, insert your white out, and restrike, etc.). There was a 'superscript' key on that typewriter, I remember it well, because I was typing ICC Trucking Transportation Tariffs at the time (you talk about a biatch of of job).

It was a typewriter that placed a very high premium on accuracy.
"

No comments: