Friday, February 25, 2005

macosxhints - Avoid an Error -50 when accessing Windows shares: " We had installed a new Windows 2000 workstation at the office that we would be usiing as a backup machine (with backup software we wrote in Delphi). The Mac users (all Panther, 10.3.5) could not access this machine (though had no problems access other windows machines on the network). I searched high and low, Google, here, there, everywhere and non of the suggestions worked.

I suddenly tripped over the answer...

I was looking at the share 'names' on that machine, and they were a bit long. 'E_Drive_Backup_168,' logn but intentionally descriptive. So, just for grins, and somewhat in desperation, I created a new share that was more typical for me and called it 'E_Drive.' And presto, the Macs could now login. So ... keep those share names short! Apparently there is some limit on share names that does not bother Windows machines but leaves Mac/Samba totally lost.
"

No comments: