Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The Calgary Sun: 6/49 winner suffers heart attack: "NEW WATERFORD, N.S. -- A Cape Breton woman who won $10 million in a Lotto 6/49 draw last month has recovered from a heart attack believed to have been caused by the number of people asking her for money. 'I'm feeling much better now,' Ferne Hawley, 43, said from her home in New Waterford yesterday. 'Now I just tear up the letters, and if anyone calls, I tell them they need to talk to my husband.'

She said 'I wish I could give it all back.'

That's because people were lined up at her door looking for money, letters were jammed in her mailbox, and her phone kept ringing.

The hysteria became so intense, Hawley said, the family had to pack up and go into hiding in London, Ont., where she suffered a heart attack."

No comments: