Saturday, October 16, 2004

Recumbent bicycle Fairing construction: "I didn't weigh the fairing, but I suspect it weighs about 8 pounds (4 kg). It increases my time-trial-on-level-ground speed from about 23 to 29 mph (37 to 46 kph). It really rockets downhills; I can get it going 35 mph (56 kph) down modest hills very easily. The fairing was made to meet the requirements for the modified class of the HPV races I go to and so was not optomized for street use. None the less, the bicycle is still (barely) streetable. Cross winds are not a problem because the fairing gives a little when hit by sideways gusts. It will get pushed around a bit but this is not a problem until I'm going over 25 mph (40 kph) and the winds are gusting over 25 mph (40 kph). I do have problems at stop lights because the fairing restricts my foot and so makes releasing from my clipless pedals more difficult. It also makes it more difficult for me to put my hand down on the ground (the prefered method on a low-racer). A door could easily be built to eliminate the latter problem and I'll probably add one at a later date.
"

No comments: