Friday, December 31, 2004

Getting Things Done! :: MarkTAW.com: "When I was young there were a few blizzards. Real snow storms with 3 or more feet of snow. I didn't go to school, and I played in the snow occasionally, but mostly I stayed in. There was no where to go. It was bliss. It's hard to describe the feeling, but the joy of knowing that you're exactly where you should be is very soothing.
Normally at work we're distracted, fidgeting and looking for something to do. You could go to the snack machine, bathroom, for a cigarette, talk to your coworker, etc. It's these infinite little possibilities that strangle our productivity. Our sense of place. Knowing that you are where you're supposed to be, and there's nowhere else to be is a powerful thing.
Write Everything Down. In One Notebook.
This is a practice I picked up at my first job. I was responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars of production at the factory, and making sure everything was there in time install in major building projects. Needless to say, I had to keep meticulous notes, and I had to be sure everything I said would be done actually got done."

No comments: