Friday, March 26, 2004

Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Epiphone PR-100 at Epinions.com: "Everyone has their talents, and everyone's talents come in different measures. I've been playing guitar for more than twenty years now, and for fifteen or so of them, I've realized that I'm just not ever going to be Jimmy Page.

But I still like to play -- with a little practice I'm a passable rhythm guitarist -- and the theft of my first guitar in a burglary a few years ago left an empty space in my life. A guitar can be a rare friend and companion. Call it maudlin, but after September 11th, I felt the need to have one around, just to strum on.

I picked up my Epiphone at Guitar Center. It wasn't the cheapest guitar available; there were some decent used models that were somewhat less expensive, and a couple of electrics that would have set me back not much more even with a small amp. The price, however, was reasonable. I got out of the store with the guitar (the blonde model), a tuner, a gig bag, a pack of picks and an extra set of strings for about $200.

It's a nice guitar, and the price was right. It frets easily, stays in tune and has a fairly rich tone for a $150 /- instrument. I've been banging it around for six months now (and my kids can't seem to stay away from it), and it's still in great shape, so I can't complain about the construction.

It's not a Hummingbird, but I don't have $2000 lying around to spend on a guitar, nor is my talent or ambition up to that kind of investment. This guitar may be the last one I own, and I could happily play it for the rest of my life. When and if my two sons take up guitar (and given their musical bent, I suspect they both will), I'll be more than happy if I can find them starter guitars of this quality for a comparable price. I suspect that I'll look at Epiphone first when that time comes."

No comments: