Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Photographing Book Pages: "Greetings. I am relatively new to digital photography. I am using a
digital camera (Canon PowerShot A80, 4.0 megapixels) as a scanner (for
OCR-ing), and it is working like a charm (much faster than a flatbed
scanner). However, whenever I take a picture of a page from a book
(with MACRO selected), the white page comes out somewhat gray
(definately not what I expected: that is, black print on a white
background). I am taking pictures in outdoors, that is, my camera is
set up near a window where there is adequate sunlight. Could someone
please tell me which functions I should adjust or select so the white
pages come out, well, a lot whiter? Thanks.

Reply to this message

Re: Photographing Book Pages 12 Aug 2004 09:41
John Bean
[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Hi Rebecca. The same thing happens if you photograph anything that's mainly
light coloured and bright, like snow for instance. The camera's meter
assumes an average scene, and under exposes. If your camera has an exposure
compensation function, sometimes also called 'EV adjustment', set it to 1
or maybe a little more and see what the results look like. A bit of trial
and error is needed here.

Reply to this message

Re: Photographing Book Pages 12 Aug 2004 09:46
Joseph Meehan
[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

Correct, and it also can be corrected in post exposure processing.
Increase the contrast and brightness.

"

No comments: